From the Emerald Isle

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

May Outings

One Monday in May, we headed north with the zone leaders, Elder Barton and Elder Jones. They don't get a chance to see much of the country so we packed a picnic lunch and away we went......

We were in for a surprise....rain and 70 mph winds!!!! Scattered with a little sunshine! When we got to the Mussenden Temple it was so windy I stayed in the car and enjoyed the beautiful hedges of wild roses.....




The sea was completely churned up! Sometimes when we are there it's as calm as a mirror....not on this day!




The guys walked down to the causeway....at their own risk since it was technically closed because of the weather....I could barely walk across the parking lot to the gift shop it was so windy! (but I did have a successful shopping experience!) I'm surprised they weren't blown into the sea! On the way home there were many trees uprooted and debris everywhere but we had a good day and enjoyed being with the Elders.


On Memorial Day (for America) we went with the McBrides, Sister Nolan, Sister Joins and the Stowers for an outing. The Stowers were staying with us for a few days on their way to Scotland.


We went south, to Portaferry, a quaint little town, home of some of my ancestors....I want to go back.......





We had to go on a little ferry as we made our way to Newcastle. The ferry was about a 5 minute ride! Short but fun!







It holds 12 cars....











View of the bay....







We stopped at Inch Abbey since no one else had been there.





Graveyard.....















Inch Abbey








Sister McBride and Sister Joins (going crazy with her camera!)









Group shot.....











Beautiful as the clouds rolled in.....we made it back to the cars just in time for the rain!










We went to Newcastle. Shopped, ate, and enjoyed the town together. Ducking in and out of buildings to avoid the scattered showers.....








We stopped at Dundrum Castle on our way home.






We enjoyed the day, even in the rain.








Can you see the flowers growning out of the rock?




Where the Mournes meet the Irish Sea......I love this part of the country!


































2 comments:

Kristen said...

70 mph winds... yikes! I love the picture in the ball. Missing you two. It is always plants a little seed of envy in me when I see your beautiful pictures. What an experience of a life time!

Lorie said...

Hummm I wonder how many times you've been to the Giants Causeway! What good sports you are! Looks like things are going good.