From the Emerald Isle

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Our Home in Northern Ireland

This is our home in Lurgan, Northern Ireland. We were pretty lucky to find such a nice place. The first day we looked I was pretty discouraged and told Elder Holt to take me home! But the next day we found this nice brick duplex, with these cute "lions and gate" to protect us! It really is a nice place to live. This is our car, that won't fit down the driveway. Everything is small here.
This is the front yard. It's nice. Can you believe the grass is this green in December?

Here is the washing machine, outside in a little room off the kitchen. No dryers.....hang everything and hope it dries by morning!


The kitchen, before we got the microwave and toaster. I did put our four plates and four glasss in the cute glass cupboard now.



Sink, Refrigerator on top, freezer on bottom. Small but nice. The cooker, (stove) is on the right. Everything we need.


This is the small spare bedroom. No sheets or bedding yet. These radiators are in every room.


This is the dining room. The glass doors are very pretty throughout the house.


Our fireplace is really nice. Here it is all decorated for Christmas. I think it's my favorite part of the house. We can burn coal in it but haven't tried it yet.



Our living room has this couch and a chair. It's quite colorful! Not everything matches but it's OK! We're missionaries!


The bathroom is very nice. They had just refinished it. Electric shower on the right. You pull a cord and instant hot water!


There isn't a double bed in the house, so we put two twins together. This is where we sleep. President and Sister Creer gave us a nice duvet and cover with two pillows!


This is actually the master bedroom but the bed has no mattress. So we just keep our clothees in these nice built in closets. We use this room to iron and hang clothes!


Here is the backyard. I think it will be nice in the spring and summer.




More backyard with the oil tank. Everyone heats with oil. You can smell it in the neighborhoods. It's pretty expensive to heat the houses so everyone turns it off at night and during the day when they are gone.


This picture is for Julie. I got my first Irish hair cut today. She was chopping like crazy!!! And then spiked it up! It's not so bad now that I'm use to it! It will grow, but we miss our regular hair dresser!!!! The girl that cut Elder Holt's hair was alittle more conservative. She took a pass a long card. She had never heard of the church before.


Today we took a drive to find some less actives. It was cold and foggy but the countryside was beautiful. I love these sheep! They are everywhere.



This is just a couple of miles up the road from our house.
The ice on the trees was beautiful. It has snowed more this week than it has for 30 years here. The Irish are so cute all out sweeping the snow off their driveways. There are no snow shovels here, no snow plows, no salt trucks....they do have some grid trucks but the grid is all gone now. They are really in a delima and can't wait for the weather to warm up! It's been in the 20's! That is so cold for here!





Beautiful countryside!




It's good to be here. The people are all so friendly and it's fun seeing new places everyday!



















7 comments:

The Stevens said...

Yea! I am so happy that you got to update! I love your little house. It's cute. I am happy to see pictures! I can't believe it's snowing so much there. It looks pretty though!

Andie said...

How cute is this?!?! Love the beautiful pictures. :)

Patti said...

What fun pictures!! Your house looks darling and the area beautiful. Have fun and keep updating, we love to share in your wonderful mission experience!

Kristen said...

Thank you for the pictures. It is so pretty there. You are right, everything does look a little tiny..the kitchen looks pretty nice, however the bed situation is somewhat interesting. Love feeling apart of your experience so far. Keep blogging!

Nicole said...

Your house looks so cozy and the country side is beautiful. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us.

Lorie said...

I loved seeing the pics! What an adventure! Hugs!

The Seaman Family said...

Thanks for sharing all this with us! How amazing, sounds like things are going wonderfully! It's beautiful there. Enjoy and keep us updated I love it!